Re: URGENT Recommendations for UNESCO

From: Stevan Harnad <harnad_at_ecs.soton.ac.uk>
Date: Wed, 11 May 2005 16:33:32 +0100 (BST)

> If you have specific comments, suggestions
> or precise language propositions please send it to me
> as soon as possible.

For OA, there is nothing more nor less to be recommended to the UNESCO
meeting than precisely what has been recommended by Berlin 3. It requires
only 2 clear, focused, non-ideological sentences:

    "1. [all research institutions should] implement a policy to *require*
    [all] researchers to deposit a copy of all their published articles
    in an open access repository

                    and

     "2. *encourage* researchers to publish their research articles
     in open access journals where a suitable journal exists and provide
     the support to enable that to happen."

    http://www.eprints.org/berlin3/outcomes.html

Anything more is simply a waste of time, words, and potential OA.

Stevan Harnad