Re: Jan Velterop and Springer

From: Heather Morrison <heatherm_at_ELN.BC.CA>
Date: Tue, 16 Aug 2005 09:58:39 -0700

    [ Your display is set for the "iso-8859-1" character set. ]

If I understand correctly, authors will still need to self-archive
their own final copy with Open Choice. This being the case - and
there being no difference in access - why would authors not save some
money, and simply self-archive?

The Springer Open Choice program is an important step forward, of
course, and no doubt Jan Velterop will be a very positive influence.
However, a policy that asks authors to pay to give the entire world
free access, yet denies authors the right to deposit a copy in the
repository of their choice, is a tad absurd, isn't it?

cheers,

Heather Morrison