Re: Self-archiving, journal usage and cancellations

From: Steve Hitchcock <sh94r_at_ecs.soton.ac.uk>
Date: Thu, 6 Oct 2005 17:43:55 +0100

Since this discussion has become quite long and involved, perhaps it is
worth summing up the OA options for journal publishers:

easy: green (e.g. Elsevier)
risk-free (for now): hybrid (subscription + OA-by-author/paper) and green
(two income streams for the price of one, e.g. Springer)
tricky: gold (start up as a new OA publisher; or slowly, cautiously
launch/transform journal by journal)
risky: do nothing (not green, no OA)

So Sally's reservations appear to rule out the easy option - just so long
as her members know this.

While the focus of this list has tended towards what the researcher should
do, it is worth noting that from the publisher's perspective there are
other players on the chess board, so I've highlighted a couple of the more
significant players above, and taken them into account in the assessment.

Steve