Effects of OA *publishing* on OA *publishing*: Peter/Paul Redux

From: Stevan Harnad <harnad_at_ecs.soton.ac.uk>
Date: Thu, 13 Oct 2005 13:36:06 +0100

   Re: New ALPSP study on the effects of Open Access on scholarly publishing
   "The facts about Open Access"
   http://www.alpsp.org/pubs.htm

    Prior Amsci Topic Thread:
    "Drubbing Peter to Pox Paul" (started November 2004)
    http://www.ecs.soton.ac.uk/~harnad/Hypermail/Amsci/4152.html
    and Guardian Eduation December 2004)
    http://education.guardian.co.uk/higherfeedback/story/0,11056,1364556,00.html

Without prejudice as to the reliability and validity of the ALPSP study,
I must point out (wearily, yet again) that this was *not* a study of "the
effects of OA on scholarly publishing" nor of "the facts about Open Access".

It was a study of *OA publishing* (i.e., of the journals that currently
make their own contents freely available on the web, how they currently
make ends meet, what their current quality levels are, and how they
currently implement peer review). The main findings are that: (1)
many current OA journals do not use the OA cost-recovery model, (2)
some current OA journals are having trouble making ends meet, (3) some
current OA journals may have lower quality standards.

These findings have nothing *whatsoever* to do with OA self-archiving,
nor with the proposed RCUK OA self-archiving mandate. They are about
current OA publishing only.

Touting them as being "The facts about Open Access" and as revealing
"the effects of Open Access on scholarly publishing" is utter nonsense
and very much in the spirit of ALPSP's rather strained efforts to give
the impression that there is any objective evidence at all that OA
self-archiving has a negative effect on journal publishing. There is
and continues to be no such evidence, and this study provides no such
evidence. The survey merely repeats the (well-known, well-aired) *opinion*
of some publishers that "disastrous consequences" are imminent.

Using the data on the current status of OA publishing as if it had any
bearing at all on OA self-archiving is drubbing Peter (self-archiving)
to pox Paul (OA publishing). This strategy may be sufficient to dupe
DTI for a bit

  http://education.guardian.co.uk/higherfeedback/story/0,11056,1364556,00.html

but sooner or later sensible people are bound to twig on the fact that
it is nothing but a smoke-screen.

I am quite confident that the RCUK consists of such sensible people.

Stevan Harnad