Re: RepositoriUM, second anniversary

From: Stevan Harnad <harnad_at_ecs.soton.ac.uk>
Date: Mon, 21 Nov 2005 14:39:37 +0000

On Mon, 21 Nov 2005, Eloy Rodrigues wrote:

> RepositóriUM https://repositorium.sdum.uminho.pt
>
> Following the [adoption] of an institutional policy mandating the self
> archiving of the research output of the University in the institutional
> repository, the number of documents in RepositóriUM has significantly grown
> in 2005: from around 600 documents in November 2004, to 2900 documents in
> November 2005.

Dear Eloy, that is splendid news and extremely timely and helpful.
I wonder if it would also be possible to determine the following,
and to post it as a follow-up:

    (1) What percentage of current annual Minho research output does this
    represent?

    (2) Would it be possible for you to do a Minho growth chart, like the
    one Arthur did to compare QUT (which already has a self-archiving
    mandate) with QU (which does not yet have one), relative to their
    respective annual research output?

http://leven.comp.utas.edu.au/AuseAccess/pmwiki.php?n=General.DepositPolicy

    This would show how rapidly Minho's current annual contents are
    growing, relative to Minho annual output.

    (3) Also, would it be possible to specify the point in that curve
    where the Minho mandate came into effect? It would be splendid if
    there were a visible change in the curvature!

Bravo!

Stevan Harnad

AMERICAN SCIENTIST OPEN ACCESS FORUM:
A complete Hypermail archive of the ongoing discussion of providing
open access to the peer-reviewed research literature online (1998-2005)
is available at:
http://www.ecs.soton.ac.uk/~harnad/Hypermail/Amsci/
        To join or leave the Forum or change your subscription address:
        Post discussion to:

UNIVERSITIES: If you have adopted or plan to adopt an institutional
policy of providing Open Access to your own research article output,
please describe your policy at:
        http://www.eprints.org/signup/sign.php

UNIFIED DUAL OPEN-ACCESS-PROVISION POLICY:
    BOAI-1 ("green"): Publish your article in a suitable toll-access journal
            http://romeo.eprints.org/
OR
    BOAI-2 ("gold"): Publish your article in a open-access journal if/when
            a suitable one exists.
            http://www.doaj.org/
AND
    in BOTH cases self-archive a supplementary version of your article
            in your institutional repository.
            http://www.eprints.org/self-faq/
            http://archives.eprints.org/
            http://openaccess.eprints.org/