Reminder: self-archiving is a supplement, not a substitute

From: Stevan Harnad <harnad_at_ecs.soton.ac.uk>
Date: Thu, 1 Dec 2005 13:49:49 +0000

It is useful to remind ourselves of a few home truths of the OA era:

(1) The primary target of OA is peer-reviewed journal articles. (We are not
talking here about vanity self-publication)

(2) OA self-archiving is an *access* matter, not a publication matter.

(3) The author's self-archived draft provides *access* to what the author
*publishes* in the journal.

(4) What one lists under one's "refereed publications" in one's academic CV is
not self-published papers but journal-published articles that have met that
journal's standards of peer review.

(5) The author's self-archived draft is hence not the canonical article, but
merely a free form of supplementary access to it, for those who cannot afford
access to the canonical version, which is the publisher's official version.

(6) No one is talking about the withdrawal of the official, published version!
(That is not in the OA Archive's hands!)

(7) The issue (if any) is about whether the self-archived supplement should or
should not be withdrawable.

(8) The answer is *of course* that it is preferable that it is not withdrawn,
because the supplementary access should be permanent.

(9) But, dear friends, we now stand at 15% self-archiving, and beggars cannot
be choosers: What we need in order to increase self-archiving to 100% as soon
as possible is not more deterrents but more incentives.

(10) The author worry that self-archiving may be irreversible is one of many
(groundless, but nevertheless effective) deterrents to self-archiving today.

(11) To conflate access-provision with publication (11a), to conflate
the withdrawal of supplementary access with "unpublishing" (11b),
and to conflate supplementary access-provision through institutional
self-archiving and its withdrawal with the creation and then the
destruction of the historic archival record (11c) is to misunderstand
what OA self-archiving is about and for.

(12) The sensible OA archive policy is to (12a) explain to the author
that self-archiving is supplementary access provision, to those who
cannot afford access to the journal version, for the sake of maximising
the usage and impact of the article, to (12b) strongly encourage that the
supplementary access, once provided, be left in place, but (12c) *not*
to discourage providing it in the first place by stimulating, ominously
(and unnecessarily), that once it is done it may never be undone!

The metadata describing a self-archived text that is subsequently
withdrawn from public view can still be kept in the institution's internal
records, for book-keeping purposes, even if the author withdraws public
access to the full-text. To worry about such things is tantamount to
worrying that the author sends in his annual CV and then subsequently
writes to say that one of the items the CV listed as published in journal
X has since been withdrawn from journal X.

A tempest in a teapot.

For vanity self-publishing, nolo contendere.

Stevan Harnad

P.S. HAL sounds as if it is confusing itself over whether it is an
access-provider to CNRS research output, or the publisher of CNRS research
output. If it were the publisher, it would be a vanity press. The publisher is
the journal, and HAL is merely a supplementary access-provider and record-keeper
(at least insofar as its publisher journal content is concerned). The same is
true of all OA IRs.
P.P.S. HAL's over-emphasis on copyright matters, and especially the idea that
authors of published journal articles should make a further copyright agreement
with and for HAL, sounds like a symptom of the same confusion between HAL as a
supplementary access-provider vs. HAL as a primary publisher...