Re: The Green and Gold Roads to Open Access

From: Stevan Harnad <harnad_at_ecs.soton.ac.uk>
Date: Wed, 7 Dec 2005 19:31:04 +0000

On Wed, 7 Dec 2005, Lesley Perkins wrote:

> I believe that open access is a GOOD THING that will ultimately benefit
> EVERYONE, and it seems to me that the biggest challenge is breaking
> down the resistance to OA publishing among the academic researchers and
> authors themselves.

Lesley, the first and most important thing is to know, and remember, that
"OA" is not synonynous with "OA Publishing." There are two (largely independent)
roads to 100% OA = immediate, permanent, free full-text on-line access to the
articles published in peer-reviewed research journals:

(1) The "golden" road of publishing the articles in OA journals (journals that
make their online contents freely available; some of them also use the
author-instution-end cost-recovery model; some don't).

(2) The "green" road of publishing the articles in non-OA journals, but also
self-archiving the finally refereed drafts (postprints) in the author's
Institutional Repository (IR) or in a central one.

Resistance against OA publishing is not resistance against OA unless it is also
resistance against OA self-archiving. And resistance is only worthy of
consideration if it has reasons and evidence to back it up.

> What do you say, or do, or demonstrate, to academic researchers to
> convince them that publishing their articles in an open access venue is
> a good and smart thing to do, not only for them (and their career), but
> also for anyone else who has an interest in reading their articles?

First, you should drop the terminology of "publishing in an open access venue"
(inherited from the one one-sided, gold-biassed Bethesda Statement, and its
successor, the 1st draft of the Berlin Declaration -- since corrected by Berlin
3): OA is providing immediate, permanent, free full-text on-line access to the
articles published in peer-reviewed research journals -- either by publishing in
an OA journal or by publishing in an non-OA journal and making the article OA by
self-archiving it.

*That* is what it is a smart thing to do. And the evidence that it is smart is
that it enhances research impact by 25%-250% or more. See:

    Bibliography of Findings on the Open Access Impact Advantage
    http://opcit.eprints.org/oacitation-biblio.html

> Specific examples of things you've tried that seemed to "get through"
> would be helpful. For example, do you use charts, statistics, and
> diagrams? or do you hold workshops, seminars, instructional sessions on
> how an IR or an OA journal works?

Yes, and they are all available for you to use too at:

     http://www.ecs.soton.ac.uk/~harnad/Temp/openaccess.ppt
     http://www.ecs.soton.ac.uk/~harnad/Temp/openaccess.pdf
     http://www.ecs.soton.ac.uk/~harnad/Temp/daser-harnad.pdf
     http://www.ecs.soton.ac.uk/~harnad/Temp/daser-harnad.ppt