Re: Functioning IRs - today's real realities

From: J.F.B.Rowland <J.F.Rowland_at_LBORO.AC.UK>
Date: Tue, 13 Dec 2005 09:35:26 -0000

I have to say that I disagree with Arthur Sale. I fully support the
objective of getting all of an institution's peer-reviewed published output
on to its OA repository, but to call the other possible uses of an IR
'low-priority' is a one-eyed view of the purposes of a university. A
university library may possess unique special collections of primary
material that is available nowehere else in the world. Is making that
material available to the world a low-priority issue? A university may wish
to make teaching materials readily available to distance-learning students;
this may be low-priority to Arthur, but it isn't low-priority to students in
the Australian outback, I would guess.

Just because we have a particular cause, and our own priorities, does not
mean that others within our institutions cannot have their own different
priorities. The casue of achieving a fully functioning IR in every
university can be best served by forming alliances with others within our
institutions, not by belittling their own different priorities.

Fytton Rowland, Loughborough University, UK.