Re: Publishing Reform, University Self-Publishing and Open Access

From: guedon <jean.claude.guedon_at_umontreal.ca>
Date: Thu, 19 Jan 2006 18:04:45 -0500

    [ Your display is set for the "iso-8859-1" character set. ]

I have the feeling we are turning in circles, but let me try one last
time.

If scientists, by distinguishing between publishing and self-archiving,
keep on complaining they have to publish in journals, it shows that they
believe that only journal publishing is worth doing while self-archiving
appears useless, superfluous, strange, whatever else, to their eyes.

Refusing any publishing value in the self-archiving move amounts to
downgrading the value of self-archiving. Yet, we all agree on the fact
that self-archiving affects impact - and impact is a variable difficult
to conceive outside publishing (i.e. making public). The mystery
thickens.

Stevan Harnad, and apparently Alma Swan too, do not seem to realize
that, by disconnecting self-archiving from publishing, they are making
self-archiving less attractive, not more attractive. If you do
disconnect self-archiving from publishing, how do you help your 97% of
authors reconcile the "need" to self-archive with their perceived need
to publish? For them, the only need, the only objective is to "publish".
If one begins by stating that self-archiving is not really publishing,
it is not surprising that scientists should wonder why self-archiving is
worthwhile if it is not publishing. And the plot must thicken in their
heads if they are told that self-archiving is nevertheless supposed to
generate good, publishing-style, effects on their publications (for
example, improved impact , etc). It walks like a duck, it quacks like a
duck but we should nonetheless argue that it is not a duck? Hmmmmm No
perversity here? hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

If, on the other hand, a scientist or a scholar sees that the
traditional form of publishing (in a peer-reviewed journal) can be
enhanced by secondary forms of publishing such as self-archiving, that
all these parallel forms of publishing contribute to impact, etc., that
scientist or scholar will begin to understand better what is in his
self-interest.

Far from fielding a "perverse" definition of publishing, treating
self-archiving as a form of publishing provides a coherent vision that,
IMHO, will be clearer, simpler, and ultimately more convincing than the
Harnadian rhetoric.

Jean-Claude Guédon