Re: Manual Evaluation of Algorithm Performance on Identifying OA

From: Stevan Harnad <harnad_at_ecs.soton.ac.uk>
Date: Fri, 20 Jan 2006 13:14:51 +0000 (GMT)

Before anyone gets too excited about the tiny Goodman et al.
test result, may I suggest waiting a couple of weeks, when we will be
reporting the results of a far bigger and more accurate test
of the robot's accuracy?

Those who (for some reason) were hoping that the robot would prove
too inaccurate and that the findings on the OA advantage would prove
invalid may be disappointed with the outcome. I can already say that
overinterpretations of the tiny Goodman et al. test as showing that the
OA/OAA findings to date are "worthless" are rather overstated even on the
meagre evidence to date, especially since two thirds of the published
findings on the OA citation advantage are not even robot-based!.

(This shrillness also seems to me to be trying to make rather much out
of having actually done rather little!)

As to the separate issue of how to treat the OA journal article
counts (as opposed to the counts for the self-archived non-OA
journal articles): We count it all, of course, but only use
the non-OA journal article counts in calculating the OA advantage,
because those are (necessarily) within-journal ratios, and citation
ratios of zero and infinity are meaningless. Think about it.

And as to the (completely independent) question of the multiple
factors that generate the OA citation advantage, see:

    OA Impact Advantage = EA + (AA) + (QB) + QA + (CA) + UA
    http://openaccess.eprints.org/index.php?/archives/29-guid.html

May I close by noting in passing that it is quite remarkable how
quantities of positive results across the past two years have elicited
no particular theoretical or methodological interest, but one tiny hint
of a possible negative outcome pulls out all the pundits!

Stay tuned.

Stevan Harnad