Re: Question for publishers - Research Assessment Exercise 2008

From: C.Oppenheim <C.Oppenheim_at_LBORO.AC.UK>
Date: Mon, 20 Feb 2006 08:46:57 -0000

With respect, Stevan has got the legal situation wrong. It is not the
academics who are asked to provide copies of their articles to the RAE
panels - it is their employing Universities. So, saying it is just like
being asked by a colleague for a copy of one of your articles is incorrect.
It is the employer making multiple copies of multiple articles. It's also
not lending of the materials, because the RAE panels retain them, and don't
return them to the HEI at the end of the RAE. Claiming the academics are
lending the stuff to RAE panels does not stand up to serious scrutiny - a
check of the RAE documentation makes it clear this is not what it is
occurring.

I'm sorry to be a pedantic old bore, but what the HEIs are doing for the RAE
panels is copyright infringement unless a licence has been agreed.

Re the pdf versus author version, the RAE panel are auditors. Just as a
financial auditor would require printed invoices, bank statements, etc., the
panel has to use the legally most robust version of the documentation it is
validating. HEFCE will be bending over backwards to ensure everything it
does is legally watertight. I'm afraid Word documents are much less likely
to be regarded as a legal document than a pdf. The fact that HEIs would be
foolish to use a doctored Word document is irrelevant to that point.

Charles

Professor Charles Oppenheim
Department of Information Science
Loughborough University