Re: preservation vs. Preservation

From: Steve Hitchcock <sh94r_at_ecs.soton.ac.uk>
Date: Fri, 3 Mar 2006 16:26:53 +0000

There is a project 'by the proponents of OA or the developers of OA
softwares'. It's called Preserv, funded by JISC
http://preserv.eprints.org/

Simply, we are working with EPrints developers, IR content providers and
preservation service providers (BL, TNA) to investigate and test features
that could be added to EPrints to enable preservation services.

We are not aiming to *do* preservation in EPrints, but to provide
interfaces to a range of preservation services that might offer different
cost models. At the EPrints level this is largely a technical issue, and
concerns generating, documenting and disseminating metadata for any
activity that takes place in the IR that the preservation services need to
know about to provide the specified service.

The target for these preservation services is not OA, but is the content of
IRs. EPrints was created to build IRs, and is principally focussed on
supporting OA content. IRs are changing, however, and the range of content
may not be just OA. If the content of IRs turns out to be OA that's fine
and Stevan's arguments about preservation may or not apply, but ultimately
decisions about preserving the materials in IRs have to be made by the
institutions for their own reasons. Acting for Preserv, and looking at the
wider picture, we intend to make recommendations, and argue for them to be
adopted by EPrints and other IR softwares, to provide facility for
institutions to arrange for preservation of any or all content they admit
to their IRs, should they wish, without any detriment to OA or the process
of content-building for the IRs.

Steve Hitchcock
Preserv Project Manager
IAM Group, School of Electronics and Computer Science
University of Southampton, SO17 1BJ, UK
Email: sh94r_at_ecs.soton.ac.uk
Tel: +44 (0)23 8059 3256 Fax: +44 (0)23 8059 2865
http://preserv.eprints.org/