Re: Use of Navigational Tools in a Repository

From: Michael Kurtz <kurtz_at_CFA.HARVARD.EDU>
Date: Fri, 10 Mar 2006 20:19:40 -0500

Hi,

ADS has been dealing with Google and Google Scholar for a few years, all
our abstracts have been indexed by them, about 5 million. We have had
discussions with Microsoft and Yahoo, but as yet they have not started
indexing.

Google was very clear with us as to how to format the abstracts, and
between us we arrived at an optimal strategy which did not put too great
a load on our resources. Now they just keep up to date. Other
organizations with a large number of documents might want to contact
them (Google) to see how they want to proceed, we have found them good
collaborators.

Michael Kurtz

--
Dr. Michael J. Kurtz
Harvard-Smithsonian Center for Astrophysics