Re: RAE and IRs

From: Stevan Harnad <harnad_at_ecs.soton.ac.uk>
Date: Mon, 20 Mar 2006 14:07:35 +0000

On Mon, 20 Mar 2006, C.Oppenheim wrote:

> RAE panels DO consider anything and everything; it's not just rhetoric.
> It's not true that RAE panelists rely on the track record of the journal
> that the material appeared in, and I'm glad that this is indeed the way the
> RAE works because journal referees can and do sometimes make mistakes when
> they accept an article for publication.

We are now disagreeing both on points of fact and on points of
practicality and logic.

No one, of course, other than the individual evaluators themselves, can
know what they actually do do: How many papers they actually read, how
carefully and competently, and whether or not they are influenced,
consciously or unconsciously, by the name and track record of the
journal in which each article appeared. (I am quite ready to believe
they do *not* count citations!)

Let us not spend more time on disagreeing about these private
psychological facts about which no other party can have privileged
knowledge (except in his own individual case, if he served as an
RAE panelist). On paper, anything and everything is welcome for
RAE submissions and everything and everything is evaluated. That
formal stipulation is uncontested.

Now to the practicality and the logic, on which I invite everyone to
reflect and make their own judgement:

    (1) About 175 UK institutions submitted 4 items each, for each unit
    of assessment (about 70) in 2001 http://www.hero.ac.uk/rae/

    (2) That means about 700 papers need to be re-evaluated by the
    panels in each unit of assessment (total: 49,000 UK papers to be
    re-evaluated)

    (3) The peer-reviewed papers among them (the vast majority, I would
    suggest) have already been evaluated by qualified experts -- their
    degree of expertise and qualification being related to the established
    and known track record of the journal in which they were published,
    the better journals being the international ones, drawing on worldwide
    peer expertise in the specific topic of the paper.

Now the (a) practical and (b) logical questions we should put to
ourselves in trying to second-guess what the individual evaluators can
and do actually do:

    (a) Do the 70 RAE panels have the time and peer expertise for each of
    their 700 papers to re-do the evaluation that the peer reviewers
    have already done?

    (b) Is it logical even to imagine that they would re-do it all
    while ignoring the fact that it has *already been done,* by the
    peer reviewers?

(The idea that this whole peer exercise would be re-done on the off-chance
that it might remedy a peer error in the original peer review is just --
at least to my ears -- so unrealistic and far-fetched as to border on
the absurd. It does seem, however, to have a ring of resonance with a
bit of local folk mythology about a kindred bit of ergonomic profligacy
much-entrenched in these parts: 2nd marking of essays and examination
results!)

> Panels will of course have
> different policies re what proportion of material they will read in detail,
> but I would be surprised if a major criterion was "this appeared in Nature
> so we don't need to read it".

No doubt. But how, dear Charles, do you imagine that the papers -- for
which we studiously ignore the track record of the journal in which
they appeared and dutifully refrain from counting their citations *and*
we don't read them "in detail" -- are to be evaluated and ranked?

> My research has shown a **strong correlation** between citation counts **of
> individuals in a department** and RAE score for department that they work
> in, but has shown **no correlation whatsoever** between **impact factor of
> journals** submitted and RAE score obtained by department. Departmental
> heads should NOT rely on journals with high impact factors to get a good RAE
> score.

The logic of this entirely escapes me, since (1) total citation scores
for individual articles are correlated with the average citation scores
of the journals they were published in (though I agree completely that
individual citation counts are the sharper instruments and journal
averages are the blunter instrument) and (2) how do you imagine that
such a powerful correlation would percolate through to the RAE rankings
if the journal name and citation impact are ignored and a "proportion"
of the papers is not "read in detail"?

(But I would like to ask an empirical question of detail: Are you saying
that your studies compared (a) the correlation between individuals'
articles' citation counts [I] and their departmental RAE ranks [R] and
(b) the correlation between individuals' articles' journal citation
(average) impact factors [J] and their departmental RAE ranks [R]
and found that IR correlation was high and JR correlation was
zero? I would have expected the correlation to be positive in both cases,
but higher for IR. The celebrated 2002 Smith/Eysenck study looked only
at IR, not JR: http://cogprints.org/2749/)

> So whilst I agree with Stevan that preferably refereed material should be
> submitted, that doesn't mean one should refuse to submit non-refereed
> material or material from a low impact factor journal.

I don't think departments refuse to submit articles from low-impact-factor
journals to RAE (although they wisely prefer to submit articles from
high-impact-factor journals whenever they can, and those are indeed more
likely to lead to a higher RAE rank). But the issue we were discussing
was (i) whether departments refuse to submit *unpublished* papers to RAE
(and I hold by the hunch that where they can refuse, they do) and (ii)
whether an unpublished paper deposited in an IR counts as a published
paper (it doesn't, either for the RAE or any other academic purpose).

Chrs, Stevan Harnad