Re: Does the arXiv lead to higher citations and reduced publisher downloads?

From: Stevan Harnad <harnad_at_ecs.soton.ac.uk>
Date: Fri, 24 Mar 2006 01:26:39 +0000 (GMT)

On Thu, 23 Mar 2006, Phil Davis wrote:

> 1) You call the citation differential an "Open Access Advantage",
> thus affirming that access is both the cause and effect of the
> phenomena. This is a circular argument. But more importantly,
>
> 2) Your theory is unrefutable.

There's nothing circular here (though there's plenty that's getting
repetitious)! If Phil doesn't like to call the OAA the Open Access
Advantage, call it the Open Access Numerator Advantage (OANA): Either
way, it means, operationally, that when you divide the average citation
counts for self-archived articles by the average citation counts for
non-self-archived articles in the same journal/issue, the numerator is
always bigger. That's the OANA.

The rest is about the *cause* of that OANA. Phil likes QB: an author
bias toward self-archiving higher-quality, higher-citation articles. I
also like QA: increased usage and citation of freely available articles,
with greater OANA the higher the quality of the article. No circularity
for either inference, but no direct test of causality either, for either
inference.

Testing causality requires a more direct control and analysis of the
timing. For example, if we have deposit dates as well as publication
dates, we can look at articles that are self-archived, say, two
years after their publication date, and we can equate articles for
their citation counts up to the date they were self-archived. If Phil
is right, there should be no difference at year three for the citation
counts of self-archived articles, compared to control non-self-archived
articles that had the same citation counts at year two. If I am right,
there should still be a OANA at year three.

That is just one of many ways one could test causation.

So it's not about irrefutable hypotheses, it's about unreflective
interpretations.

Stevan Harnad

PS Since Arxiv authors tend to deposit preprints before publication
and postprints at publication, but rarely postprints much later than
publication, we cannot do this particular study in Arxiv; it could be
done in CogPrints, but the N's would be small. Once IRs with date-stamps
grow, we will be able to do it there.