Re: Universite du Quebec a Montreal becomes first North American University to sign Berlin Declaration on Open Access

From: Joanne Yeomans <Joanne.Yeomans_at_cern.ch>
Date: Thu, 06 Apr 2006 14:49:40 -0400

Dear David, Stevan,

Sorry for not replying earlier, I'm only now sitting at my desk going
through email.

David is correct in that most of our current documents are not submitted
individually by authors to CDS. Instead the vast majority are submitted
by secretaries on behalf of a group or are harvested from arxiv. There
are a few keen self-archivers but they are really a minority.

Because of our particular history, an official CERN report number is
very important to many of our authors and they will only get one of
these by submitting it through the official internal channels and it is
through this process that the secretaries upload the details and text to
CDS. With regards arXiv harvesting, this accounts mainly for theory
papers and is usually the individual authors submitting their work. As
the theory department knows that we harvest nightly from arxiv we have
an understanding that it is enough for them to continue submitting there
instead of to the institutional repository.

However, I do think a mandate has helped in filling the repository -
without it I am guessing it would not have been so easy to set up the
secretarial effort, nor would be have the staff resources to put into
the harvesting and managing of the repository. So a mandate might not
change the behaviour of many authors, but it does still help to get the
content in a more indirect way.

We are taken with Minho's idea of offering financial incentives...we
might test the political waters for this. And as part of our OA
publishing project we'll be making new efforts to encourage individual
submission for the missing documents. OA publishing has grabbed the
interest of the HEP community far more than talking about preprint
deposit did so we hope to piggy-back a bit on this enthusiasm to improve
the repository content too.

All the best, Joanne

Joanne Yeomans
Office 3/1-012, DSU/SI Service
http://library.cern.ch/
Mail address:
Mailbox C27810
CERN CH 1211 Geneva 23
Switzerland
Tel: 70548 (externally dial +41 22 76 70548)