RAE and the Base Rate Fallacy

From: Stevan Harnad <harnad_at_ecs.soton.ac.uk>
Date: Fri, 7 Apr 2006 11:17:35 +0100

For what it is worth, I am not personally a defender of the RAE. If
there is evidence that it merely entrenches Matthew Effects and other
inequities, it should be scrapped. My own welcoming of the switch to
metrics is a conditional one: (1) IF the RAE is to continue and (2)
IF the outcome is virtually the same with or without the wasteful
and time-consuming "peer-re-review" component, THEN the peer re-review
component should be scrapped in favour of just metrics.

I have, by the way, not heard one piece of objective evidence that metrics
would systematically disfavour anyone -- just a lot of (understandable,
but nonetheless objectively baseless) anecdotal anxiety that the
metrics-only RAE would disfavour one's own institution). Plus a lot of
(familiar, not-unique-to-RAE) superstition that if I am to be condemned
to the Tower (rightly or wrongly) let it be by a panel of my peers
(awake or asleep), not by a table of figures (even if the verdict is
exactly the same).

This might just have nothing to do with RAE or metrics at all, but
just human superstition (and irrationality) about base rate statistics
and their own unique, singular case:
http://www.ecs.soton.ac.uk/~harnad/Hypermail/Explaining.Mind96/0221.html
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Base_rate_fallacy

Stevan Harnad