Re: CERN's historic role in OA

From: Stevan Harnad <harnad_at_ecs.soton.ac.uk>
Date: Fri, 7 Apr 2006 14:37:47 +0100 (BST)

On Fri, 7 Apr 2006, Pavel Exner wrote:

> ArXiv serves well not only physicists, but also mathematicians and
> information scientists. Various repositories (individuals, groups)
> I know are based on arXiv because it is user friendly, and provides
> versioning and numerous useful facilities.

The proportion of maths in arxiv, compared to Physics, is small. Information
science is minuscule. See instead Citseer, which is not a central archive but
harvests from all over the web, google-style. With over 700,000 papers it has
twice as many as Arxiv.
http://archives.eprints.org/?action=home&country=&version=&type=subject&order=recordcount&submit=Filter

The era of central archiving, however, ended (in my opinion) with the advent of
the OAI protocol, The natural way to self-archive now is in each researcher's own
Institutional Reposotory. The rest will be handled by OAI harvesting,
Citeseer-style.

Stevan Harnad

 Pertinent Prior AmSci Topic Threads:

    "Central vs. Distributed Archives" (1999)
    http://www.ecs.soton.ac.uk/~harnad/Hypermail/Amsci/0294.html

    "PubMed and self-archiving" (2003)
    http://www.ecs.soton.ac.uk/~harnad/Hypermail/Amsci/2974.html

    "Central versus institutional self-archiving" (2003)
    http://www.ecs.soton.ac.uk/~harnad/Hypermail/Amsci/3206.html
    http://www.ecs.soton.ac.uk/~harnad/Hypermail/Amsci/4017.html

    "A Simple Way to Optimize the NIH Public Access Policy" (2004)
    http://www.ecs.soton.ac.uk/~harnad/Hypermail/Amsci/4092.html

    "Brewster Kahle's Internet Archive as OA Back-Up" (2005)
    http://www.ecs.soton.ac.uk/~harnad/Hypermail/Amsci/4486.html