article use in astrophysics

From: Stevan Harnad <harnad_at_ecs.soton.ac.uk>
Date: Thu, 20 Apr 2006 22:48:26 +0100

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Thu, 20 Apr 2006 11:10:29 -0400
From: Michael Kurtz <kurtz_at_cfa.harvard.edu>
Subject: article use in astrophysics

Dear Sally and Stevan,

Perhaps you will be interested in the latest version of the plot Edwin
Henneken has been making for me every time I speak to a publishers group
(the next few are AIP, World Bank, and SSP). It shows the reads of the
preprints and the associated journal articles for all papers published
in December 2005 in any of the 4 main astro journals where the
associated preprint was published in August (4 months lag is the peak of
the distribution). There are about 200 papers in the plot.

The data are the reads (with multiple reads of the same article by the
same individual removed) on the Cornell arXiv server of the preprint,
the reads from the ADS servers of the preprint (which are includedin the
worldwide arXiv total), and the reads on the ADS servers of the paper,
after it is published. The reads of the paper on the journal web site
are not in the plot.

The preprint reads via ADS drop to zero after the paper is published.
Other similar plots show a large drop, but not quite to zero. This says
directly that given a choice professional astronomers overwhelmingly
choose the journal version of an article. I suggest this means that the
subscription base is secure, as Stevan has been suggesting.

Cheers,

Michael