RE: Harold Varmus: "Self-Archiving is Not Open Access"

From: (wrong string) édon Jean-Claude <jean.claude.guedon_at_UMONTREAL.CA>
Date: Wed, 7 Jun 2006 18:36:16 -0400

I fully agree with both Peter and Stevan on this point, which may weaken Poynder's allegation about the OA community...

Moreover, by Varmus' own admission, if the datable is searchable, then it qualifies as OA. OAI-PMH does that to repositories where individuals can self-archive.

This said, if people were to self-archive in small, isolated, web sites that do not obey OAI-PMH, it would be pretty invisible and, as such, may not really qualify as OA. In this situation, venue could indeed be relevant, but only in that situation. And it is a very minor problem anyway.

I would also like to react to Poynder's characterization of the debate within the OA community. From my perspective, the issue is not to see which road is best. I believe many in the OA community feel likewise. So long as either of the two roads achieves positive results for OA, I am for it.

My point has always been to see how we could make both roads work better. I have even strongly suggested we should try to make the two strategies converge, for example by paying attention to their respective branding capacity. This is particularly important for repositories as journals already brand. But what has been branded once can be branded twice (for example through a journal and then through a prize). Therefore, imagining how repositories can be organized to brand and re-brand is not difficult.

Jean-Claude Guédon