Re: How to Counter All Opposition to the FRPAA Self-Archiving Mandate

From: Stevan Harnad <harnad_at_ecs.soton.ac.uk>
Date: Wed, 14 Jun 2006 05:06:06 +0100 (BST)

David, please reflect before posting yet another ill-thought-through response:

Right now, the proposed FRPAA policy is to mandate self-archiving but
allow deposit to be delayed until after the publisher's embargo period
(capped, one hopes, at 6 months); the proposed alternative is to mandate
*immediate* deposit and allow only the OA-setting date to be delayed until
after the publisher's embargo period (capped, one hopes, at 6 months).

Now what is your complaint, and who is your complaint with? Is your
complaint that FRPAA allows any embargo at all? I agree, but then please
register your complaint with FRPAA, not with me, since I would prefer
no embargo too (if FRPAA could be successfully passed without one).

But please don't complain to *me* that I urge that any embargo should
apply only to the access-setting and not to the deposit itself, because
that is a (vast) improvement (at no loss) to the FRPAA (and will almost
certainly be sufficient to lead to 100% OA soon thereafter, despite publisher
embargoes; and meanwhile the semi-automatic email-eprint-request feature
will be tiding over research usage through any embargo period).

You have simply not worked your way through the logic and pragmatics of
the two alternatives (embargoed deposit vs. embargoed access-setting)
and you are compounding the confusion by making it sound (absurdly) as if
the immediate-deposit/delayed-release alternative were a betrayal of OA
rather than an improvement on an already-compromised FRPAA proposal --
an improvement, moreover, proposed in order to maximize the probability
that the FRPAA will be speedily passed, and successful, rather than
continuing to hold out for immediate OA at the risk of prolonging still
further the 3-year running delay in getting any mandate passed at all.

(Your likening of the semi-automatic email-eprint-request feature to
Interlibrary Loan -- with its paper-era delays and expense -- also suggests
that you are not seriously thinking through what this email-eprint-request
capability is, and means.)

If your follow-up posting does not show some sign of seriously thinking
matters through, I regret I cannot take the time to answer yet again.

Stevan Harnad