Re: Royal Society Offers Open Choice

From: Stevan Harnad <harnad_at_ecs.soton.ac.uk>
Date: Sat, 24 Jun 2006 14:31:53 -0400

It is a very clever strategy for publishers to offer a maximally priced
paid-publisher-OA-archiving (PA) rival to free-author-OA-self-archiving
(SA), and to focus their anti-mandate efforts now on trying to redirect
the OA mandates toward mandating PA instead of SA.

It can even be stated (again) that if research funders feel they have
the spare cash -- and researchers are ready to believe that that
cash would be redirected from elsewhere, and not from their research
allotments -- to pay whatever publishers ask today (or a capped amount
the funders impose) for PA, then the outcome -- 100% OA -- is welcome
and optimal for all.

But if the research funders do *not* have the spare cash today to
duplicate the funds that are already changing hands today in the form
of annual institutional subscriptions, paid by institutional libraries
to publishers -- and/or if the prospect of committing to the payment of
such sums today would result in the funders balking at the adoption of
OA mandates at all today -- then it would make a good deal more sense for
funders to insist on the SA mandate rather than the PA mandate, and let
the market decide whether SA indeed generates institutional subscription
cancellations.

For if mandated SA does generate substantial institutional subscription
cancellations, then those very same substantial institutional
subscriptions cancellations will generate the institutional windfall
savings out of which PA costs (again determined by the market and not
by a-priori fiat) could be paid without taking any money away from
research funding.

And if mandated SA does not generate substantial institutional
subscription cancellations, then there is no need for PA.

This is an empirical question, neither its likelihood nor its price being
decidable a-priori, by fiat.

The thing to bear in mind is that publication costs today are bloated --
by the costs of continuing to provide the paper edition, for which there
is still hefty demand, as well as the deluxe online edition, and many
other extras that subscribing institutions are still happy to pay for
today. If/when the market no longer wants those extra features, and is
happy with the author's online, refereed final draft alone, the cost of
PA can only shrink, and may well reduce to just the cost of implementing
peer review.

Basically, publishers are today asking research funders -- who have every
right to insist on immediate OA for the research that they fund, today --
to pay publishers for the entire status quo today, even though there are
plenty of institutions paying for it all already, and even though no
one knows whether institutions will be any less willing to pay for it
once the entire system is supplemented by a free online version of the
author's refereed final draft for those who cannot afford all the rest!

http://www.publications.parliament.uk/pa/cm200304/cmselect/cmsctech/399/399we152.htm

But, to repeat, the need for OA would be fully met if funders (and
institutions) found the extra cash to mandate and pay for PA -- just as
surely as the need for OA would be met if funders (and institutions)
simply mandated SA.

Stevan Harnad