Reasoning by Escalating Doomsday Prophecies: Pascal's Wager

From: Stevan Harnad <harnad_at_ecs.soton.ac.uk>
Date: Mon, 26 Jun 2006 15:27:26 +0100 (BST)

In my opinion it is a complete waste of time to speculate about the future
of publishing when what is needed (and so long overdue) is immediate OA.

David Goodman "demonstrates" by hypothesis. I won't go through his thicket
of assumptions and guesses item by item.

Suffice it to say that it is trivially easy to counter-speculate,
with other assumption and guesses
http://www.publications.parliament.uk/pa/cm200304/cmselect/cmsctech/399/399we152.htm
but it is an equal waste of time.

David does make one particularly revealing remark:

> "there is no rational basis for Green OA [via self-archiving]
> except as a stopgap while we all convert to OA Journals"

David is a librarian, and, apparently, his interest is in OA Journals and
in subscription costs, not in OA itself.

The research community, in contrast, is interested in OA (of any color),
so as to put an end, at long last, to the needless loss of research
usage and impact in the online age.

Hence to speak of OA -- achieved via self-archiving -- as a "stopgap" is simply
to reveal that one's agenda is not really OA at all (and never has been)
but something else.

Please believe me, the worldwide research community will be more than
happy with the attainment of this "stopgap"! But they have not attained
it yet. And treating it as just another assumption in an armchair scenario
does not help.

Those with agenda other than 100% OA are of course welcome to pursue
their own agenda, in the armchair or elsewhere. But please don't let your
agenda get in the way of the research community's attainment of this
"stopgap" (namely immediate 100% OA). A good start would be to stop
calling 100% OA a "stopgap".

OA may be an arbitrary way-station for those whose agenda is journal price
reduction/elimination or publishing reform, but for the research community
immediate 100% OA is an end in itself.

And please don't reply with further speculation about what will/won't
happen *after* 100% OA via self-archiving. What is needed is 100% OA,
right now, not more leisurely years of this idle, empty, arbitrary,
fruitless and paralytic armchair speculation.

Stevan Harnad