Re: Mandated Self-Archiving and the "Open Choice" Option (fwd)

From: David Goodman <dgoodman_at_Princeton.EDU>
Date: Thu, 29 Jun 2006 14:09:47 -0400

In addition to the reason already given, there are other benefits to publishers:

1) generous OA will be the sign of an up-to-date first rate publisher,
and lack of it, the opposite. This will attract authors, even the ones
who do not yet understand the benefits of OA for themselves.
I expect to see advertisements: 100% OA, publish here.

2) undergraduates, no matter where they come from,
 will enter graduate school already familiar with the journal. They will
want to publish their own eventual articles with the journals they know.

2a) In particular, it is much easier to include an OA article in a course
pack or e-reserves, for there are no payments. This adds to
the students' awareness of the journal. This past term I used only OA
articles for my assigned readings. Those are the ones they'll remember.

Dr. David Goodman
Associate Professor
Long Island University
and formerly