Re: Mandated Self-Archiving and the "Open Choice" Option (fwd)

From: David Goodman <dgoodman_at_Princeton.EDU>
Date: Mon, 3 Jul 2006 19:19:54 -0400

There is better reason why MBC can not be used as a general example. it's an extremely good journal.
Journals of its quality will do relatively better under any system, including mandatory Green OA.

It's those societies whose journals are not of this
quality who should be most worried. They are indeed in the most danger. When journal
subscriptons begin to be canceled due to the availability of Green, librarians wil start with the
least cost-effective, which will be both the titles with extremely high subscription costs (mainly
commercial publishers), and also those titles whch may have moderate cost, but little use (found in all
sectors of publishing). That's what libraries do when they cancel because of increasing costs,
and that's what they will do when they cancel because of declining need.
(I suppose Stevan would modify this to *IF* they cancel for declining need, but the same argument holds.)

Uner the present system,, the best journals prosper.
With ncreasing OA, ONLY the best will prosper

MBC is also a considerable way towards being a Gold OA journal: it has a
"basic page charge of $65 per page for the first 9 pages of an article
 and a $130 per page charge for each additional page."

It has an obvious strategy: to simply become an OA journal.

Dr. David Goodman
Associate Professor
Long Island University
and formerly