Web Performance-Indicator Abuse and Open Access

From: Stevan Harnad <harnad_at_ecs.soton.ac.uk>
Date: Mon, 10 Jul 2006 12:00:32 +0100

An interesting comment about self-citation abuse is appended below from
the sigmetrics list. http://listserv.utk.edu/cgi-bin/wa?A0=sigmetrics
It is no doubt valid about a number of routine biasses (already in place
since before the Internet).

I would repeat only that a worldwide Open Access database, containing
all citations to and from an article, author, and journal (not just the
Thompson ISI subset) will make it possible to calculate baselines for
self-citation, by field or subfield, and to compare and rank individual
papers, authors and journals relative to their respective ("endogamy/
exogamy") baselines.

Egregious cases can thereby be detected and exposed (named-and-shamed). It
seems to me that this will introduce a form of openness and answerability
that the more partial/proprietary citation counts until now did not
enable, and that it will help to expose and minimize biasses. (Similarly,
full-text overlap indices of various kinds will be derivable to compare
with norms and baselines for the detection and monitoring of
plagiarism/poaching as well as legitimate lineage.)

Open Access cannot but have a profound effect on these variables and
practises.

A conjecture: For every new means of abuse that the Web breeds (download
agents to pad download counts; padded link counts, etc.), it will soon
thereafter breed a new means of countering that same abuse (rather like
the endless cartoon series of escalating spy- vs-spy ploys in Mad Magazine
a few decades ago).

Another conjecture: The vast majority of the abuses will be at the level
of the mean or meaner: The highest quality authors and papers will not
be the ones resorting to such ploys. (Hence, in a sense, their detection
and exposure is important mainly for local performance-evaluation
purposes, rather than to safeguard general research progress.)

Stevan Harnad

PS As a notorious self-citer myself, I would like to add, in defense
of the practise in some conditions, that it is not necessarily done
for citation impact inflation -- especially as author self-citations are
the easiest and most natural ones to subtract off in correcting citation
counts. It can also be a legitimate way of trying to draw attention to
one's own neglected prior work. (I'm not sure it works, though...)