Cambridge Open Option (fwd)

From: Stevan Harnad <harnad_at_ecs.soton.ac.uk>
Date: Sun, 13 Aug 2006 00:17:03 +0100

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Sat, 12 Aug 2006 15:22:38 -0400
From: Peter Suber <peters_at_earlham.edu>
To: SPARC Open Access Forum <SPARC-OAForum_at_arl.org>
Subject: [SOAF] Cambridge Open Option

[Forwarding from Cambridge University Press. --Peter.]

Cambridge Open Option

 From August 14th 2006 authors submitting articles to selected Cambridge
Journals will be able to make their articles freely available to everyone,
immediately on publication. Building on the success of Breast Cancer
Online, the first Cambridge Open Access project, and Neuron Glia Biology,
which provides Open Access after 6-12 months, Cambridge Open Option
introduces a new Open Access model to a further 15 journals from the
Cambridge list.

Gavin Swanson, STM Editor-in-Chief at Cambridge Journals said: "I've been
involved in the Open Access world for some time and the launch of Cambridge
Open Option is the result of a great deal of painstaking research into best
practice. I'm confident that we have a robust model that will benefit both
authors and researchers equally. We're hoping that this will become a major
part of our journals publishing in the future and that it will help us give
greater access to the results of scientific research reported in our
journals."

How Cambridge Open Option works

Once their paper has been accepted for publication, authors can choose
whether or not to make it freely available to everyone on publication via
Cambridge Journals Online (CJO).

In this way, all of the editorial decision processes are maintained in a
neutral way. The journal's Editor and reviewers will not know that the
paper is to be included in the program until it is accepted.

All Cambridge asks in order to provide this service is that the author, or
their institution or funding body, pays a fee to cover costs associated
with the publication process, from peer-review of the submitted manuscript,
through the copy-editing and typesetting, to online-hosting of the
definitive version of the published article. The charge that will be
applied for each article is 1500/$2700. The costs associated with producing
printed issues are not included.

Papers will continue to be made available in both print and online
versions; the only difference is that Open Access articles will be freely
available online. Anyone with internet access will be able to read the Open
Access articles without charge.

It is anticipated that the subscription prices of the participating
journals will be adjusted in the future to take into account the impact of
the Open Access publishing model. The level of change will depend on the
uptake of the Cambridge Open Option by authors. Any subscription price
changes will occur on a title by title basis.

The Cambridge commitment to Open Access

This new service reflects Cambridge's ongoing mission to advance learning,
knowledge and research worldwide. Geoff Nuttall, Editorial Director at
Cambridge Journals said: "We're delighted to have extended our Open Access
commitment to a further 15 journals, and we're convinced that our model
will provide real benefits to our authors and Societies, while at the same
time extending the reach of our journals further than ever before."

Cambridge Open Option encompasses the following journals published by
Cambridge University Press:

Journal of Agricultural Science
Biofilms
Cardiology in the Young
Development and Psychopathology
Experimental Agriculture
Expert Reviews in Molecular Medicine
Geological Magazine
Genetical Research
Epidemiology and Infection
Laser and Particle Beams
Journal of Plasma Physics
Psychological Medicine
Journal of Tropical Ecology
Visual Neuroscience
Zygote

For further details about Cambridge Open Option please contact Gavin Swanson

gswanson_at_cambridge.org

About Institutional Repositories and Author hosting

Cambridge University Press Journals allow authors to post their articles in
personal and departmental web pages and in institutional repositories.
Authors can immediately post their own versions of articles (as submitted
but prior to editorial input from Cambridge University Press) on their
personal or departmental web pages or institutional repositories. They can
also post the full pdf version of the published article 12 months after
first publication. The full terms and conditions relating to institutional
repository and author hosting are provided to all authors contributing to
Cambridge Journals.

About Cambridge University Press Journals

Cambridge University Press publishes nearly 200 peer-reviewed academic
journals across a wide spread of subject areas, in print and online. Many
of these journals are the leading academic publications in their fields and
together they form one of the most valuable and comprehensive bodies of
research available today.

About Cambridge University Press

Cambridge University Press is the publishing division of the University of
Cambridge, one of the world's leading research institutions and winner of
81 Nobel Prizes. Cambridge University Press is committed by its charter to
disseminate knowledge as widely as possible across the globe. It publishes
nearly 200 journals and over 2,500 books a year for distribution in more
than 200 countries.