Optimising Deposit and Import Capabilities of EPrints

From: Timothy Miles-Board <tmb_at_ecs.soton.ac.uk>
Date: Fri, 18 Aug 2006 08:51:00 -0400

(was Re: measuring affiliation)

The EPrints team have been looking at this issue in some detail. The current
version of EPrints has "clone" and "new version" options which save having
to re-enter metadata for similar/different versions of an existing deposit.
However, this doesn't help much if you are starting a new deposit. The
approach we've been favouring of late is auto-completion (like Google
Suggest http://labs.google.com/suggest), whereby the depositor begins typing
the first few characters of the name of a co-author and is presented with a
pop-up list of suggestions. The behind-the-scenes logic that determines what
to suggest can be customised to an individual repository's requirements e.g.
suggest from the list of registered users, suggest by looking up in the
institutions user account (e.g. LDAP) server, suggest according to an
internal database list of institutional and non-institutional users. The
previous deposits that you have made can also inform the list of suggestions
e.g. frequent/recent co-authors can be promoted to the top of the list of
suggestions.

This is not just about minimising keystrokes - the suggestion mechanism we
implemented is also able to carry additional data about the authors being
suggested. You mention the potential for cross-linking an author's work
between archives. In order to do this you need to be able to uniquely
identify them. Author disambiguation is potentially important for the
Research Assessment Exercise (RAE) in the UK. When an author's name is
autocompleted, the ID of that author is also attached.

We have also successfully applied the auto-completion technique to keywords
and journal names (with the ISSN number of the journal being passed with the
suggestion and used to auto-fill the ISSN field upon selection of the
intended journal by the user).

Although for the moment we've decided not to include it in the next version
of EPrints (3.0), it will be in a future version. In the meantime, I'd be
happy to describe our technique in more technical detail on the eprints.org
wiki if that would be useful (creating an autocompleting field in the
EPrints deposit form using an open source AJAX library is straightforward-
the complicated bit comes in designing the (independent) program that makes
appropriate and useful suggestions in reponse to the user's keystrokes).

It is also worth noting that EPrints 3.0 will have a number of new options
for importing data e.g. users can create new deposits by cutting and pasting
BibTeX/EndNote/etc entries from a bibliography file into a textbox and
hitting a button.

Tim

--
Timothy Miles-Board