Re: Maximising the Return on Resource Investment in Research

From: Ana Alice Baptista <analice_at_DSI.UMINHO.PT>
Date: Fri, 18 Aug 2006 18:40:54 +0100

Dear Stevan Harnad,

Thanks for having edited the text. :-)

(for other readers: Stevan Harnad asked my authorization to post these
private emails on this list. I replied that I didn't feel very
comfortable with it because I had not been very careful with my writing,
but that he could post if he thought it was interesting enough. Stevan
kindly edited my text before posting it)

However, in this particular paragraph the editing could take us to an
international affairs problem ;-): I'm Portuguese - not Brazilian. :-)))

What I said was:

"This is just speculation, of course, but I think of all this literature
we are making available, I look at our statistics(http://repositorium.sdum.uminho.pt/sdum/stats?level=general&type=access&group=
&no-form=true&no-menu=true) and can't help thinking that we would never
have so many readers in Brazil if we didn't have our work available in
OA."

Here, when I said "our", I was talking about Portuguese scientific
literature. More specifically, I was talking about University of Minho
scientific literature. I mean we would never have so many Brazilian
readers for our work at Minho if we didn't have it available in OA. If
you follow that link, you will acknowledge that since January this year
until right now, we have had exactly 260632 downloads. From this, 71354
are from Brazil!

"Reversely, we don't have a so dramatic increased access to Brazilian
scientific literature. SciElo and other similar initiatives have brought
much of their scientific literature to the light of the world, but they
still need to invest a lot on IR's. And when they do, their relative
impact in the Ibero-American world (and not only, of course) will
increase a lot, I believe.)"

Here I should have said: "However, I feel we in Portugal haven't such
dramatically increased. access to Brazilian scientific literature".

My point here is that although SciElo and other similar initiatives are
doing a very important job, it seems to me that much of Brazilian
scientific literature is still not available. Thus, they have to invest
more effort on implementing IRs. "And, when they do, their relative
impact in the Ibero-American world too will increase a lot, I
believe. (and not only there, of course)"

Unfortunately I haven't got the numbers. Is there any Brazilian here who
could add something to this?

Thanks again for your time. :-)

Best regards,

Ana