Re: Forthcoming OA Developments in France

From: Stevan Harnad <harnad_at_ecs.soton.ac.uk>
Date: Mon, 21 Aug 2006 02:36:30 +0100

    http://romeo.eprints.org/stats.php
> How many? 5%? Less?

The spontaneous self-archiving rate varies from field to field, varying from
< 5% to >25%, with the median about 15%.

    http://citebase.eprints.org/isi_study/
    http://www.crsc.uqam.ca/lab/chawki/ch.htm

But why on earth would one be more interested in the percentage of papers that
are self-archived *spontaneously* rather than in the percentage that are
self-archived when there is a self-archiving mandate (> 90%)?

> Concerning a repository of supplementary materials (crystal
> structures atomic coordinates), I can tell you : less than 0.001%
> are voluntarily deposited inside of the COD (Crystallography
> Open Database) by crystallographers since 3 years... The
> same crystallographers deposit "voluntarily" their data inside
> of a commercial database (CSD = Cambridge Structural
> Database) for closely 50% of them. Why ? Because the
> journals recommend to do so. Since years, this has
> become a kind of tradition. We (at COD) asked to journals
> that they add in their recommendations to authors to send
> their supplementary materials not only to the CSD but also
> to the COD. We failed... The only chance now is that
> employers of public researchers officially recommend to
> do so.

But you have answered your own question! And it is the same answer as
for journal articles: It is the researchers' own employing institutions
and funders who need to mandate the self-archiving of all research
papers published by their researchers, in the institution's own IR;
and it is likewise they who need to "recommend" that their employees and
fundees do likewise with their data (and with their preprint drafts too,
where appropriate).

> I am a CNRS researcher in France still waiting for
> such a clear recommendation...
> So, what are we doing wrong in your opinion ?

Vide supra...

Stevan Harnad

    Prior AmSci Topic Threads on CNRS Policy:

"Are things otherwise in France?" (May 1999)
http://www.ecs.soton.ac.uk/~harnad/Hypermail/Amsci/0268.html

    "France's CNRS Registers Commitment to Implement Berlin Declaration
    Self-Archiving Policy Recommendation" (Mar 2005)
    http://www.ecs.soton.ac.uk/~harnad/Hypermail/Amsci/subject.html#4447

    "Guide juridique CNRS" (Nov 2005)
    http://www.ecs.soton.ac.uk/~harnad/Hypermail/Amsci/4950.html

    "Helene Bosc et le progres en acces libre en france" (Mar 2006)
    http://www.ecs.soton.ac.uk/~harnad/Hypermail/Amsci/subject.html#5244
    "CNRS position on OA : new details" (Jun 2006)
    http://www.ecs.soton.ac.uk/~harnad/Hypermail/Amsci/subject.html#5422

    "Forthcoming OA Developments in France" (Jun 2006)
    http://www.ecs.soton.ac.uk/~harnad/Hypermail/Amsci/subject.html#5434