Re: Open Choice is a Trojan Horse for Open Access Mandates

From: David Goodman <dgoodman_at_Princeton.EDU>
Date: Tue, 5 Sep 2006 17:44:22 -0400

Dana,

the institutions contributing more articles are also the ones
with the largest amount of grant funding--as the two
necessarily go together.

Most previous OA Journal proposals would have
required the simultaneous switch of
the funding arrangements for all universities and all funders,
 and could rightly be critized for such unlikelihood.

The significance of "OA by the Article" is that it can be
done one funder at a time, or one university at a time, or
even one department at a time.
For Example, if the Wellcome is prepared to continue
sufficient extra payment for OA for all of its grants,
that's a start. (Even here, it would need to be supplemented
by university funds since they provide enough for 1 or
2 papers a year, and most substantial grants produce more. )

As another source of funding, I remember that my NIH postdoctoral fellowship
came with what was then a very significant $1000 per year discretionary
fund. Similarly, new faculty are normally given a substantial amount of money by
 the university to outfit their lab, and often to construct their special facilities.
I've known it to include a research quality greenhouse.
At some rich universities they are also guaranteed one (or even two) years of
leave before the tenure evaluation. They could reasonably also
receive funding for the first few papers. Successful university departments are
ingenious in finding money--probably more ingenious than most libraries.

There's been enough
started now to keep things going for a while. If at this time next year only OUP
has had enough Sponsored OA to be able to reduce prices,
we'll know to try something else.

Think of it! Publishers demonstrating their success by lowering prices!

This is enough for now, and I'll join this thread again next summer.

David Goodman, Ph.D.

Bibliographer and Research Librarian
Princeton University Library
(Retired)