Data base services

From: brian ventura <brian.ventura_at_up.edu.ph>
Date: Thu, 12 Oct 2006 18:52:56 +0800

Hello all,

Recently I attended a workshop on how to access web materials and data bases in
the conducted by CSA Illumuna. The services and function was really great. They
can give you the most specific reasearch as much as you want. I was impressed
until I ask a question if they have the capacity to determine open access
materials as a special category for research. I was just trying to find out if
I can use their services to improve my search even after my subscription ends.
The answer was "They have no capacity as of now".

I was just wondering if advocates of open access in Institutions that are also
sunbscribing to paid databases can lobby to make open access search included in
the category. This will greatly help in popularizing open access search. We can
also use the technical capacity of the providers to have more access to OA
databases.

Brian C. Ventura
International University of Japan.