Re: Perelman, the Fields Medal and Open Access

From: Stevan Harnad <harnad_at_ecs.soton.ac.uk>
Date: Fri, 13 Oct 2006 16:59:59 +0100

(Apologies for the delay in posting! Misdirected to personal email
backlog.)

On Mon, 4 Sep 2006, Andrew Odlyzko wrote:

> (For the list):
>
> Stevan,
>
> There is no denying the value of peer review. But I think you
> go too far by denying that Open Access has anything to do with
> peer review. While Perelman's case is extremely unusual, because
> of his eccentricity as well as its intrinsic importance, it is
> a sign of the way research in general is evolving, towards
> greater openness, and availability of results even before formal
> peer review takes place. That then leads to other forms of
> peer feedback. For many (including myself), Open Access is (among
> other things) a facilitator of the evolution towards an improved
> peer review system.

Andrew,

I don't disagree. Perhaps the way to put it is that the influence that
the online medium and OA are having on peer review is important, but
peripheral to the primary objective of the OA movement, which is Open
Access to today's, published peer-reviewed research journal articles.
And this access certainly cannot and should not wait for peer-review
or journals to be reformed. The authors of all those peer-reviewed
articles should provide OA to their articles by self-archiving them
today. What might happen tomorrow or after tomorrow in the evolution
of peer review is another matter. OA should not count on it, or wait.

> And note that peer review is not the final edict on a work. It
> guarantees neither correctness, nor importance, nor originality.
> All it does is provide some partially quantifiable assurance of
> those. The final verdict comes decades (and sometimes centuries)
> later, when scholars go back and reassess individual contributions.

Again, I agree completely. But that too is independent of OA (though OA
certainly helps). What is needed today is Open Access to 100% of
peer-reviewed research output -- for all those would-be users today who
otherwise do not have it. Again, tomorrow and after tomorrow are another
matter.

> Best regards,
> Andrew
>
> P.S. A word of warning: The New Yorker article about Perelman
> is extremely controversial, and should not be taken as gospel.
> A much more balanced (and shorter) account of the scientific
> controversy by Allyn Jackson is about to appear in the Notices
> of the American Mathematical Society.

Yes, it's become apparent that the New Yorker article was quite
controversial.

Best wishes,

Stevan