Re: CIHR Proposes Optimal OA Self-Archiving Mandate

From: Syevan Harnad <harnad_at_ecs.soton.ac.uk>
Date: Sat, 14 Oct 2006 15:51:08 -0400

As is clearly stated in all the descriptions of the feature, the
semi-automatic EMAIL EPRINT REQUEST button works *semi*-
automatically: the requester has to paste in his email address, then
the author receives an email and must then click on the URL to
approve the emailing. As all the descriptions and postings likewise
state clearly, this is *not* OA, nor is it immediate. It is almost-OA
and almost-immediate, and it is intended to tide all would-be users
over any embargo period. (It will also quickly bring embargoes to
their natural demise, if we can just stop fussing over trivial and
irrelevant details and get on with it... It is perhaps also
preferable to fact-check rather than thinking aloud.) S