More thoughts on Impact Factors & Open Access journal publishing - II

From: Dana Roth <dzrlib_at_LIBRARY.CALTECH.EDU>
Date: Wed, 25 Oct 2006 13:43:28 -0700

Having been around long enough to realize it may be impossible to have a
pleasant exchange of views with a 'true believer', I will let Stevan's
less than graceful taunt pass without comment. OA is obviously a
wonderful goal but the best way to reach it should be open for
discussion sans ridicule.

Society publishers have long provided extremely useful assistance to
their authors and their role should be respected in this transition
environment.

One very serious but apparently overlooked concern, regarding
Cornyn-Lieberman, is the scale of payment for Open Access. One suspects
that involving politicians in this process will result in funding
agencies being required to pay publication charges based on publisher
demands, rather than economic reality. The specter of Cornyn-Lieberman
becoming a bail-out for commercial publishers, as suggested by the
recent announcement of the Wellcome Trust-Elsevier agreement, is truly
disheartening.

Thus, the suggestion that a return to reasonable subscription pricing
and modest author contributions is an obviously sensible approach for
the interim, if not the long term.

In regards self-archiving, perhaps the fact that "Caltech has some of
the earliest and most numerous IRs", is due to the fact 1) that it is
not mandated and 2) that it is dependent largely on library staff and
publishers who allow their papers to be posted after a reasonable delay.

Dana L. Roth
Millikan Library / Caltech 1-32
1200 E. California Blvd. Pasadena, CA 91125
626-395-6423 fax 626-792-7540
dzrlib_at_library.caltech.edu
http://library.caltech.edu/collections/chemistry.htm