E-LIS Introduces Usage Statistics for Authors

From: Imma Subirats <imma.subirats_at_GMAIL.COM>
Date: Fri, 27 Oct 2006 10:25:02 +0200

    [ Your display is set for the "iso-8859-1" character set. ]

Dear all,

* Apologies for cross-posting *

We are glad to announce that has been implemented a new Statistics module
in E-LIS, E-prints in Library and Information Science. The purpose of the
statistics is to promote E-LIS repository and authors self-archiving as
well, by demonstrating the accessibility and usage of deposited documents
by access and downloads .

Usage statistics (abstracts, downloads) are now available by the
following elements:

^Õ Most viewed eprints in the last four weeks
^Õ Most viewed eprints in this year
^Õ Most viewed eprints in the last year
^Õ Most viewed eprints in all years
^Õ Repository-wide statistics by year/month
^Õ Repository-wide statistics by country

You can see the implementation of the Statistics at
http://eprints.rclis.org/. The use of statistics is basic for the
development of Open Acess Model and for the achievement of our first
objective: to promote self-archiving among researchers.

Some examples of statistics results are the following:

^Õ Prosser, David C. ( 2003) Scholarly communication in the 21st century
: the impact of new technologies and models. Serials : the journal for
the serials community 16(2):pp. 163-167 .

^Õ Suber, Peter (2006) Open Access in the United States, in Jacobs, Neil,
Eds. Open Access : Key strategic, technical and economic aspects. Chandos
Publishing .
^Õ Estivill Rius, Assumpció and Abadal Falgueras, Ernest and Franganillo,
Jorge and Gascón García, Jesús and Rodríguez i Gairín, Josep Manuel
(2005) Uso de metadatos Dublin Core en la descripción y recuperación de
artículos de revista digitales = Use of Dublin Core metadata for
describing and retrieving digital journals . In Proceedings DC-2005
International Conference on Dublin Core and Metadata Applications, Madrid
(Spain).
^Õ Parmar, Arvind Singh and Kumar, Sanghmitra A. and Prakash, Thushara
(2004) Bibliometric analysis of information seeking behaviour related
literature

We encourage other repositories to implement statistics for each archived
document. E-LIS uses EPrints Software module, but also DSpace has
developed an Add-On for Statistics.

Some comments to the use of the statistics in E-LIS are the following:

^Õ ^Õ ^Õ ^Õ ^Õ ^Õ ^Õ ^Õ ^Õ ^Õ ^Õ ^Õ ^Õ ^Õ ^Õ ^Õ ^Õ ^Õ

"All authors crave impact - we hope that what we write will affect
readers and will make a difference.  However, often it is difficult to
tell if our work has even been read.  Now we have a clue.  The newly
implemented download statistics in E-LIS tell me fascinating stories
about the usage of my work - papers that I thought 'old news' are still
being downloaded, the geographical distribution of readers is greater
than I would have guessed.  This is a wonderful tool for both authors and
readers and shows, once again, the power of self-archiving.  Now all I
need to know is what the readers thought of my work!"
David Prosser
SPARC Europe

"Having statistics for each article posted in E-LIS can be a  valuable
tool for the study of the development of the intellectual  production in
librarianship and information science.  This and the  use of bibliometric
techniques would help us assess library  development around the world^Å"
Julio Santillan Aldana
Responsible of the open access journal Biblios
E-LIS Editor for Peru

"The Eprint Statistics feature is an impressive new addition to
E-LIS.  It presents clear and immediate data on use of documents in the
repository, something every author wants to see.  I've found myself
checking the statistics on my documents regularly and have also
discovered that it's a very effective recruitment feature for E-LIS;
colleagues who have never deposited in E-LIS have done so very
soon  after seeing the Eprints Statistics function in action".
Andrew Waller
Author and E-LIS Editor for Canada

^Õ ^Õ ^Õ ^Õ ^Õ ^Õ ^Õ ^Õ ^Õ ^Õ ^Õ ^Õ ^Õ ^Õ ^Õ ^Õ ^Õ ^Õ ^Õ ^Õ

For any information about the implementation do not hesitate to contact
us.

Best Regards,

E-LIS Team