Re: What Can and Should Be Mandated

From: Arthur Sale <ahjs_at_ozemail.com.au>
Date: Sun, 5 Nov 2006 17:32:01 +1100

[mailto:AMERICAN-SCIENTIST-OPEN-
> ACCESS-FORUM_at_LISTSERVER.SIGMAXI.ORG] On Behalf Of Stevan Harnad
> Sent: Sunday, 5 November 2006 1:06 PM
> To: AMERICAN-SCIENTIST-OPEN-ACCESS-FORUM_at_LISTSERVER.SIGMAXI.ORG
> Subject: Re: [AMERICAN-SCIENTIST-OPEN-ACCESS-FORUM] What Can and Should Be
> Mandated
>
> On Sat, 4 Nov 2006, Jean-Claude Guédon wrote:
>
> > Many journals of a "national" reach...
> > tend not to appear in [Ulrich's or ISI]
>
> The question still stands: What percentage of *those* journals
> is subsidised?

Just to keep making my original point, the data for Australia is 0%.

In other words, there are *no* subsidized journals in Australia. However
most Australian published journals appear in Ulrich's or ISI.

Australia accounts for 3% of the world's refereed journal articles according
to ISI, and my estimate is that more than 90% of the articles are published
offshore (conservatively based on a rough analysis of the national journals
(much less than 3% share) which seem to average 60% local authorship).

I expect the data is different for non-English speaking countries. But then
science is largely conducted in lingua anglais. Topics of local interest
(culture, history, flora, fauna) don't behave the same.

Arthur Sale