Re: What Can and Should Be Mandated

From: (wrong string) édon <jean.claude.guedon_at_umontreal.ca>
Date: Tue, 7 Nov 2006 07:17:37 -0500

    [ Your display is set for the "iso-8859-1" character set. ]

Many thanks for Stevan for his gracious conclusion. I will be brief...
:-)

Le lundi 06 novembre 2006 à 13:09 +0000, Stevan Harnad a écrit :

 On Sun, 5 Nov 2006, Jean-Claude Guédon wrote:

> I retain from all this that mandating [self-archiving] works, but "it
> takes several years"... for each mandating policy. This does not look
> all than much easier than converting journals to OA.

(As we are now repeating ourselves, this will be my last, summary
response, and I leave it to Jean-Claude to say the last word.)

    (1) Self-archiving mandates cover 100% of the OA target literature.

Yes. So does the conversion of all journals.

 (2) They take a few years to approach that target, but the point
    is that once adopted, they have been demonstrated to work.

Yes. The same with journal conversions.

 (3) Subsidised journal conversion to OA is desirable and welcome,
    in parallel with self-archiving mandates, but it cannot cover 100%
    or even 50% of the OA target literature and it should not be conflated
    with self-archiving mandates.

Correct because many journals are not subsidized. It has never been
conflated with OA self-archiving, so far as I know.

 (4) The FRPAA mandate and the EC mandate alone, if adopted, will
    already generate most of the top half of the OA target literature.
    (5) Supplemented by institutional mandates, the rest of the dominoes
    would soon fall, mooting the urgency of OA journal conversion (though
    probably accelerating it!).

We all hope it will pass.

 (6) The reverse is definitely not true (that mandating subsidised
    journal conversion would moot the urgency of OA self-archiving
    mandates).

Correct. Only the conversion of all journals would do that and there is
no way to mandate anything to journals without subsidies.

 (7) Hence there is no symmetry between self-archiving or
    self-archiving mandates and journal conversion or subsidised journal
    conversion mandates, or their respective urgency and priority.

Correct. But no one ever talked about symmetry, so far as I know. Only
complementary, parallel moves were suggested. And, as Peter Subert,
shrewdly wrote, such actions should be led in parallel with a particular
institution, a granting agency for example, only if does not impede
either of the two strategies. Otherwise, they should be introduced
serially, according to circumstances.

jcg

 Stevan Harnad

 --