Re: Overlay Journals

From: Steve Hitchcock <sh94r_at_ecs.soton.ac.uk>
Date: Fri, 24 Nov 2006 13:01:21 +0000

There is a simple test of overlay journals. Do they provide what authors
want? On the basis of the number of overlay journals that have appeared in
recent years, the answer must be no.

The most successful examples of overlay journals appeared in the mid- to
late-1990s. It is worth noting that at the time e-journals were relatively
new, there were no IRs, no OA publishers and no hybrid OA. In other words,
those original overlay journals were releasing a latent demand for
e-publishing and (what we now call) open access, and even then it could
only be applied in one area, subjects covered in the physics arXiv. In a
sense those overlay journals were a standby in case e-journals and OA did
not materialise on a reasonable scale and at a reasonable pace.
(Admittedly, this model was of interest to some of us at the time for these
reasons, but let's be realistic and see that things have moved on.)

Of course they did, and authors are currently spoilt for choice. So why
would they choose overlay journals, which are explicitly intended to
provide basic service at the lowest cost?

The time for overlay journals could return. There is much talk about how
distressed journal publishing might become through cancellations caused by
self-archiving and mandates, although the prospect of mandates must be
factored in to recent big money publisher acquisitions and suggests that
overlay journals may have a long wait ahead.

Steve Hitchcock
IAM Group, School of Electronics and Computer Science
University of Southampton, SO17 1BJ, UK
Email: sh94r_at_ecs.soton.ac.uk
Tel: +44 (0)23 8059 3256 Fax: +44 (0)23 8059 2865