Re: Overlay Journals

From: Sally Morris (Chief Executive) <"Sally>
Date: Mon, 27 Nov 2006 08:29:36 -0000

Overlay journals on the APS/AIP model could work in an OA environment, but
only if the articles on which they were overlaid were already peer reviewed
(the point about the APS/AIP VJs is that they articles have already appeared
in other journals).

Some people seem to think that peer review could, indeed, be decoupled from
individual journals and applied 'in the abstract' to some (or all?) of the
articles in a repository. It has even been suggested that this is a new
role for learned societies.

However, I remain to be convinced (and I don't see societies leaping to
adopt the suggestion...). Here are some of the problems I have with the
idea:y

1) PR is not context-free. Reviewers are not judging, in some absolute
way, whether an article is good or bad - it's not ticking a box. Rather,
they are determining not only whether an article reports a soundly conducted
study in a clear and accurate way, but also whether it is sufficiently
interesting and relevant for a particular (time-poor) community of readers
2) Reviewers don't just recommend acceptance or rejection (in a very
particular journal) - they usually recommend changes and improvements.
Hardly any articles are accepted as they stand. There is usually at least
one, but may be several rounds of to-and-fro with the journal editor before
the article is OK to publish
3) Reviewers agree to spend valuable time doing this detailed work not
just because they are committed to scholarly communication in their
discipline in the abstract (and hope that their own work will in turn be
treated equally carefully by others). They respond to specific invitations
from editors they respect, who edit journals that they respect. I am not
certain how this would work at repository/society level
4) Oh - and who would pay? As publishers have found, managing the PR
process is not free - and editors, too, have to be paid. I'm not clear how
this would, in fact, reduce overall system costs...

So - what's the context for this type of PR? What's the (journal-like)
entity for which they are reviewing? Who's the respected editor who invites
them to do so?

The other way of doing it would be for articles in repositories to be, as at
present, unreviewed but for journals which identified them for Publication
(with a capital P) to organise PR on them in the normal way. The danger
here is that the community's efforts - both as reviewers and as readers -
could be unnecessarily duplicated if articles were selected for more than
one journal. Let alone what that would do to citations...

I may have missed something - I'd be interested to hear others' views

Sally

Sally Morris, Chief Executive
South House, The Street, Clapham
Worthing, West Sussex, BN13 3UU, UK