Re: Open Letter to Philip Campbell, Editor, Nature

From: Peter Banks <pbanks_at_BANKSPUB.COM>
Date: Sat, 2 Dec 2006 15:38:44 -0500

&#8220;As editor, I receive the submissions, I contact the reviewers, I
send the submission to the reviewers, I bug the reviewers when they
haven't sent the reviews in on time, I receive  the reviews, I read the
reviews, I file the reviews, I decide which paper goes into the journal
on the basis of the reviews. The publisher has no hand whatever in the
peer review process.&#8221;

I think we are looking at a difference in disciplines. For biomedical
journal of any size, the publisher&#8217;s responsibilities include
creating and managing an online database of manuscripts and reviewers,
supporting the salaries of assistants who shepherd peer review, paying
rent and utilities for the the journal&#8217;s university office,
supporting and upgrading the systems for online peer review, paying for
all mailing costs, etc.

The publisher does not intrude in editorial decisions...but provides the
infrastructure and personnel that enable peer review to happen at all.

That being so, publishers are a key part of the research enterprise, and
suggestions that they should be silent on matters of pertaining to IRs
are inappropriate....and very counterproductive to those who want to IRs
to take off.

      As editor, I receive the submissions, I contact the
      reviewers, I send the submission to the reviewers, I bug the
      reviewers when they haven't sent the reviews in on time, I
      receive  the reviews, I read the reviews, I file the reviews,
      I decide which paper goes into the journal on the basis of
      the reviews. The publisher has no hand whatever in the peer
      review process.

Peter Banks
Banks Publishing
Publications Consulting and Services