The IDOA ("Keystroke") Mandate and "The Button"

From: Stevan Harnad <harnad_at_ecs.soton.ac.uk>
Date: Tue, 5 Dec 2006 13:19:39 +0000

No, "The Button" does not "deliver a kind of OA" (Les), nor is it a
cop-out or betrayal of OA (David).

The only thing that stands between the planet earth and 100% OA to every
single one of the annual 2.5 million articles published in the planet's
24,000 peer-reviewed journals is *keystrokes*.

The ID/OA (Immediate Deposit, Optional Access) Mandate is meant to
generate those keystrokes, at long last. And Nature will take care of
the rest, promptly. You can quote me on that.

The ID/OA is a way to moot copyright-based hesitations and any embargo
or delay on the all-important act of depositing (keystrokes).

And the purpose of the EMAIL EPRINT button is to tide over user needs
during any embargo period, until Nature takes its course.

I think Les fully understands this, but was a bit thrown off by David's
rather ironic posting(s). I am pretty sure David does not yet understand.

Stevan