Re: IJCLP CFP & writing competition - Yale A2K2 conference, April 27-29, 2007

From: Stevan Harnad <harnad_at_ecs.soton.ac.uk>
Date: Thu, 7 Dec 2006 14:53:59 +0000

> A2K policy issues to be addressed include:
>
> * Compulsory Licensing for Access to Medicines
> * Community Media
> * Multilingual Domain Names
> * Open Source Licensing
> * Distance Education
> * Traditional Knowledge & Genetic Resources
> * Collaborative Scientific Databases
> * Access to Government Information
> * Agriculture & Genetically Modified Crops
> * Peer Production
> * Digital Archiving
> * Online Journalism
> * Municipal WiFi & Mesh Networking
> * Generics Pharmaceutical Industry
> * Open Standards
> * Digital Rights Management

How about adding an "Open Access" category, among the essay topics?
It really is a special case, with unique features of its own:

    "Free Access vs. Open Access" (began Aug 2003)
     http://www.ecs.soton.ac.uk/~harnad/Hypermail/Amsci/2957.html

     "On the Deep Disanalogy Between Text and Software and Between Text
     and Data Insofar as Free/Open Access is Concerned"
     http://www.ecs.soton.ac.uk/~harnad/Hypermail/Amsci/2968.html

    "Making Ends Meet in the Creative Commons" (Jun 2004)
     http://www.ecs.soton.ac.uk/~harnad/Hypermail/Amsci/3798.html

    "Open Access Data Archiving: A Complement to Article-Archiving"
    (Mar 2005)
    http://www.ecs.soton.ac.uk/~harnad/Hypermail/Amsci/4459.html

Stevan Harnad