Australian National Health and Medical Research Council - policy on research deposits released

From: Colin Steele <Colin.Steele_at_ANU.EDU.AU>
Date: Sat, 9 Dec 2006 15:14:14 +1100

The NHMRC have now released their policy as in the first para below, with the additional comment from Miranda Crean below.

In relation to the ARC release and the comments by Arthur/Stevan, the role of the National Scholarly Communication Forum and its Chair, Professor Malcolm Gillies, and the relevant Australian Department of Education, Science and Training officials should also be acknowledged.

The process started with the October 2005 NSCF Forum and dialogue has continued with the ARC, NHMRC and DEST since then. The linkages with the Australian RQF Accessibility Frameworks and the Productivity Commission draft report do indeed lend encouragement, although there are many issues in the academic reward system and scholarly communication frameworks to be addressed. Nonetheless, onwards and upwards!

Colin

National Health and Medical Research Council

16.2 Dissemination of Scientific Results

To maximise the benefits from research, findings need to be disseminated as broadly as possible to allow access by other researchers and the wider community. The NHMRC encourages researchers to consider the benefits of depositing their data and any publications arising from a research project in an appropriate subject and/or institutional repository wherever such a repository is available to the researcher(s). Any research outputs that have been or will be deposited in appropriate repositories should be identified in the Final Report.

http://www.nhmrc.gov.au/publications/_files/profundingpol.pdf

******

Miranda Crean from the NHMRC research policy section emailed me on 8 December to say: "The IT system supporting our Final Reports does not currently allow an area for applicants to justify why they will not be despositing. However, once the
new system is up and running (approx. 18 mths) the words "If a researcher is not intending to deposit the data from a project in a repository within a six-month period, he/she should include the reasons in the project's Final Report." will be included in the policy.

The NHMRC and ARC will be issuing a media release based on the wording included in ARC's Funding Rules.

*********

http://www.arc.gov.au/pdf/DP08_FundingRules.pdf