Re: Don't confuse AIP (publisher) with APS (Learned Society)

From: R. Stephen Berry <berry_at_UCHICAGO.EDU>
Date: Sun, 10 Dec 2006 21:10:54 -0600

Re the APS/AIP distinction:

        These are truly separate organizations, with separate
administrations, purposes and memberships. Individuals belong to the
APS; organizations belong to the AIP. The AIP is primarily a
publishing house for scientific journals of its member societies. The
APS is a true professional society, operated by and for its members.
The APS, as most of you know, has been a leader in OA and in working
out ways to enable maximum distribution of scientific literature.

        At one time, a group of us, actually a working committee,
published an article in Science proposing that authors of scientific
papers should retain copyright for their papers. Martin Blume, a
member of the committee, a co-author of the paper and then
Editor-in-Chief of the APS, dissented. His argument: If a publisher
changes the mode of publishing, e.g. from paper to online electronic,
that publisher would have to get permission of every copyright holder
to make their work available in the new medium. Martin argued that
the journal could give the author a license to distribute her or his
work as widely as they wished, so that the author would be in the
same position as if she or he held the copyright. He is right about
that; I don't know whether a comparable license could be given to the
journal by the author if the author kept the copyright. In any event,
the goals of the authors and of journals of the APS are clearly
identical. This is not so clear with some other professional
societies and some commercial publishers, as we are all aware.

        However I myself believe that the wishes and attitudes of the
authors and other advocates of OA will drive the market in that
direction, so that authors will simply choose to publish in the
journals that get them the best and widest circulation.

        Steve Berry