Re: Study Identifies Factors That Could Lead to Cancelled Subscriptions

From: Stevan Harnad <harnad_at_ecs.soton.ac.uk>
Date: Mon, 11 Dec 2006 22:48:03 +0000

On Mon, 11 Dec 2006, David Goodman wrote:

> Are you seriously giving as a positive feature of self-archiving in
> institutional repositories that it is relatively inefficient and relatively
> confusing practice?

Nothing of the sort. You are conflating the question of efficiency
for the researcher-author and researcher-user, with the question of
efficiency for the publisher or the library. I am speaking only from
the researchers' viewpoint -- which is the *only* viewpoint relevant to
the question of Open Access self-archiving, by and for researchers,
and its efficiency in maximizing research access, usage and impact.

I said that unlike the OA content of a journal that goes gold -- 100%
-- the OA content of a green journal is subtotal, not easy to tally,
and grows anarchically and distributedly (depending on which of its
authors happen to self-archive, where, and when).

Self-archiving -- and especially mandated self-archiving -- is
highly efficient and not in the least confusing: for authors and
users. Anarchically distributed self-archived content, however, and
tallying it, is indeed confusing and inefficient: for publishers and
libraries.

> But in another posting today* you praised them, as their
> findability was now fully equal to centralized repositories, and you
> called the most successful of all the centralized archives "obsolescent."

Correct. The user that is looking for a self-archived article will find it,
easily and reliably.

To repeat, what is uncertain at any point is what percentage of any
given journal's contents happens to be self-archived so far, and how fast
that percentage is growing. But those are not author or user concerns --
i.e., not researcher concerns. They are publisher and librarian concerns.

There are systematic, automatised ways to probe the percentage of
journal content that is self-archived, and how fast it is growing, for
example, by feeding a journal's metadata, issue by issue, into OAister,
Google Scholar and Google, checking the accuracy and the percentages,
and constructing and regularly updating a time-plot, issue by issue,
daily, weekly, monthly, or yearly. There is some possibility that a
journal publisher might take the trouble to do this, but it is unlikely
that they will want to publicise the outcome. Librarians are unlikely
to do this, and if they did, it's not clear they would know what to do
with the outcome.

Let me add that at this late date, after more than a decade of everybody's
swilling them around hypothetically without doing anything about them,
I have no further interest in these questions from either the publisher's
or the library's point of view. My own interest is now solely from the
researchers' point of view, and for researchers the problem is to get
all the research self-archived -- in IRs -- so they can all access it,
at long last. If it's self-archived, they'll find it, efficiently, and
without any confusion. (Please let's not start with the "problem" of
search engine efficiency again: There is no problem with today's search
engines. The problem is with their impoverished content: only about 15%
of the current research corpus. Crank that up to 100%, and not only will
the problems vanish, but the search engines will crank up their powers
creatively to levels unimaginable in the current content wilderness --
powers and levels not worth providing today, to be applied to next
to nothing.)

And, yes, CRs are indeed already obsolescent; but they will only obsolve
in earnest when the self-archiving mandates finally bite; that may be
after an initial false-start period when some of the mandates foolishly,
and short-sightedly, mandate self-archiving in a particular CR, instead
of in each researcher's own IR.

    Optimizing OA Self-Archiving Mandates: What? Where? When? Why? How?
    http://openaccess.eprints.org/index.php?/archives/136-guid.html

   "Written evidence for UK Select Committee's Inquiry into Scientific
    Publications" (Dec 2003)
    http://www.ecs.soton.ac.uk/~harnad/Hypermail/Amsci/subject.html#3264

    "What Provosts Need to Mandate" (Dec 2003)
    http://www.ecs.soton.ac.uk/~harnad/Hypermail/Amsci/subject.html#3241

    "A Simple Way to Optimize the NIH Public Access Policy" (Oct 2004)
    http://www.ecs.soton.ac.uk/~harnad/Hypermail/Amsci/4092.html

    "Please Don't Copy-Cat Clone NIH-12 Non-OA Policy!" (Jan 2005)
    http://www.ecs.soton.ac.uk/~harnad/Hypermail/Amsci/4308.html

    "Maximising the Return on UK's Public Investment in Research"
    (Sep 2005)
    http://www.ecs.soton.ac.uk/~harnad/Hypermail/Amsci/subject.html#4755

    "Generic Rationale and Model for University Open Access
     Self-Archiving Mandate" (Mar 2006)
    http://www.ecs.soton.ac.uk/~harnad/Hypermail/Amsci/subject.html#5216

    "How to Counter All Opposition to the
    FRPAA Self-Archiving Mandate" (Sep 2006)
    http://www.ecs.soton.ac.uk/~harnad/Hypermail/Amsci/subject.html#5399

To repeat: IRs and CRs are OAI-compliant and equivalent, but each
researcher's institutional IR is the natural locus for each researcher's
own research output. Each researcher's institution is the primary research
provider. Universities consist of all disciplines. Universities can
mandate self-archiving and monitor compliance in their own IRs, locally,
with their own mandates, reinforced by the mandates of the funders of
their research. CRs, in contrast, are no sort of entity at all. They do
not cover all disciplines, and even if they did, it would be absurd to
have researchers at the same institution self-archiving left and right
in repositories other than their own, in an age when the OAI harvesting
protocol was created precisely to make that sort of thing unnecessary --
indeed obsolete.

IRs are the natural and optimal locus for direct deposit; CRs (if any)
can and should harvest from the IRs. And the mandates should be uniformly
and consistently directed at the researchers' own IRs, not at depositing
willy-nilly in CRs.

Stevan Harnad