Re: PR's 'pit bull' takes on open access: excerpts from article in Nature Magazine

From: Michael Eisen <mbeisen_at_LBL.GOV>
Date: Mon, 29 Jan 2007 16:44:34 -0800

Why are you presenting these are mutually exclusive?

There is no single solution that works for all patients. Some want
to, and are equipped to, take advantage of the relevant medical
literature. Others need more synthesized information. We need to make
sure that both types of information are available. But casting open
access and PubMed Central as being somehow opposed to the idea of
more highly developed patient-oriented information is either crazy or
disingenuous.

What we should all encourage is to take the money saved by switching
from fee-for-access publishing to open access publishing and use it
to develop far richer and more useful interpretive material targeted
at multiple audiences - patients, physicians, students, etc...