Re: Stop fighting the inevitable - and free funds for open access!

From: Fred Spilhaus <FSpilhaus_at_AGU.ORG>
Date: Wed, 31 Jan 2007 09:06:25 -0500

David Prosser wrote:

> This all to divert attention from the revelation that the best argument
> there is against open access appears to be the Orwellian concept that
> freeing the literature equals censorship.

The real concern should be around the quality and usefulness of the
scientific literature as it grows toward the "ASCII coded garbage heap"
that I envisioned in a talk at ASIS in 1981. Will clever systems make
up for the likely increasing difficulty of identifying significant
contributions in the heap and thus making a researcher's time more
effective. The purpose of the scientific literature is to advance
science. Any other use is added value only to the extent it does not
detract from the output of the scientific community!

Fred Spilhaus Executive Director, AGU

2000 Florida Avenue NW Washington DC 20009 USA
Phone: +1 202 777 7510 Fax: +1 202 328 0566
E-mail FSpilhaus_at_AGU.org
To see what AGU is doing go to http://www.AGU.org