Re: PR's 'pit bull' ... A final thought?

From: Subbiah Arunachalam <subbiah_a_at_YAHOO.COM>
Date: Thu, 1 Feb 2007 14:03:46 +0000

Please examine the Indian OA jounals. The two major
academies, Indian Academy of Sciences and the Indian
National Science Academy, get a small grant from the
government, a part of which is used for their
journals. The print version has a small subscription
charge, but the web version is open access. IASc takes
ads in some of their journals.

MedKnow, a Bombay-based comercial firm, brings out 40
OA journals on behalf of professional societies and
colleges. All are in the medical area. The print
version of the journal is sent to all members of the
society and others are charged a subscription. The
electronic version is absolutely free. MedKnow
journals get revenue from ads. Going OA has made it
win-win for all concerned. The quality has improved,
more papers are received including many from abroad,
papers receive more citations, numbers of downloads
are very very large. For more information, please
write to r D K Sahu
[dksahu_at_medknow.com].

NIC, a government set up, brings out a large number of
OA journals, again on behalf of mostly professional
societies. For more details, please write to Mr
Sukhdev Singh [sukhi_at_nic.in].

Arun
[Subbiah Arunachalam]

--- "J.F.B.Rowland" <J.F.Rowland_at_LBORO.AC.UK> wrote:

> Learned Society publishers are certainly important
> in scholarly
> communication, and as Dana's figures demonstrate,
> their prices per page tend
> to be much lower than those of commercial
> publishers.
>
> It is important to note, though, that learned
> society journals fall into
> three categories. Large societies run their own
> in-house publishing
> operations, and in spite of their more reasonable
> prices, in the OA debate
> they have tended to side with the commercial
> publishers. This is probably
> because their publishing departments are run as
> arms-length quasi-commercial
> activities anyway, and are not run on a day-to-day
> basis by the voluntary
> officers of the society. Middle-sized societies
> often publish through a
> commercial publisher, so any statements about OA
> will tend to be made by
> their commercial partner rather than the society
> itself. Small societies
> may publish themselves on a more or less amateur
> basis, with members of the
> society doing much of the work, assisted by a small
> number of largely
> clerical/administrative staff. In my experience,
> this last group are often
> sympathetic to the principled argument for OA, but
> they can see no OA
> business model that would give them any sense of
> long-term security.
>
> There is a clear and urgent need for business models
> that can enable
> not-for-profit learned societies to be active in the
> long term in scholarly
> communication - which is a major reason for
> societies' existence, after
> all - in a future that is inceasingly OA, whether
> green or gold. Such
> models do not exist at present, in my view.
>
> Fytton Rowland, Loughborough University.

<AMERICAN-SCIENTIST-OPEN-ACCESS-FORUM_at_LISTSERVER.SIGMAXI.ORG>

http://libraryconnect.elsevier.com/lcn/0501/lcn050107.html