Re: Some initial thoughts on the Brussels Declaration on STM publishing

From: Peter Banks <pbanks_at_bankspub.com>
Date: Tue, 20 Feb 2007 11:56:02 -0500

"Unfortunately scientists seem to be very slow or perhaps very busy or
maybe just too alienated to go after a suitable model to achieve this."

I would go with "very busy," especially in clinical medicine. The time spent
writing grants, conducting research, teaching students, and engaging in
administration is about 150% of a full time job. Is it surprising that most
scientists don't want to edit and produce journals in their spare time?

What is more surprising is that we would want them too. Personally, I would
rather them spend their time in what they are trained to do--finding a cure
or treatments for cancer, say.

Peter Banks
Banks Publishing
Publications Consulting and Services